Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Knights of the Road Inspiration

Knights of the Road, my Swords and Wizardry WhiteBox setting/expansion, is primarily based on the following sources in media:
Movies:
  • Blade Runner
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Five Deadly Venoms
  • Mad Max
  • Master of the Flying Guillotine
  • The Matrix
  • Wizards
  • Zardoz
Books:
  • Tank Girl
  • Railsea
  • The Postman
  • Dying Earth series
  • The Dark Tower series
TV Shows:
  • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
  • Thundarr the Barbarian
  • ThunderCats
  • Xena: Warrior Princess

These sources of inspiration are almost exclusively from the 80's (Mad Max, Tank Girl, He-Man, etc.), except for a few outliers like the Dying Earth series and Dr. Strangelove. In order to create this list, I started off with a few key points (Tank Girl, Mad Max, He-Man) and started finding other sources that I had read or seen earlier and that I felt would be a good inspiration for the genre of game that I'm working on, like related cartoons to He-Man (Thundarr the Barbarian, ThunderCats, etc.), movies that had a more martial arts/cinematic vibe (Five Deadly Venoms, Master of the Flying Guillotine), and sources that had a similar setting (Railsea, Dying Earth, Wizards, etc.).

Now I have a list of shows, books, and movies that I feel, as a whole, more completely encapsulates the genre of game that I'm trying to reach (cinematic, post-apocalyptic fantasy with a focus on vehicular combat) and can evaluate my rules and game based on how true to the base material the game is.

No comments:

Post a Comment