Monday, November 27, 2017

[KotR] Driving Mechanics

This post is about how driving works in Knights of the Road, my WhiteBox compatible post-apocalyptic setting.
Driving systems, in my opinion, are always too complex in most RPGs, with players having to juggle several numbers just to make a U-turn. Because of this, I've decided to reduce any driving check to one roll. But, a d20 has a tad too much randomness for my liking, as good drivers should be able to consistently drive well. In order to fix this, I've decided to make driving checks use 2d6.

The most relevant attribute would be Dex, but I would rather use Wisdom as a modifier (using the to-hit modifiers for Strength). This means that when you are driving in dangerous circumstances, you roll 2d6 and add a number based on your Wisdom score. I do like even numbers, so target numbers can be 6, 8, 10, or 12.

Combat in cars should also be simple, but vehicles do provide additional protection when compared to regular armor. How I'm handling this is somewhat inspired by WotC's Star Wars Saga Edition's force fields. Each car has an armor rating. Any damage that exceeds this number goes towards the crew and reduces the armor rating by 1. Attacking cars is the same as regular ranged attacks.

Example: Alice opens communication with Bob via a sheet of lead bullets. She rolls a 14, adding 1 for a high Dexterity score, beating Bob's AC of 12. For damage, she rolls 6 on 2d8, which surpasses Bob's car's armor rating of 4. Bob takes 6 damage and his car's armor rating is reduced to 3 until repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment